Recently a lot of life stuff has finally happened to me and it’s really cool as part of it I’ve been putting off for the better part of two years. Yesterday I had knee surgery performed – an open synovectomy and removal of a baker’s cyst which has been giving me grief as part of an inflammatory arthritic condition. I bit the bullet this year as I kept putting it off but having it done now reduces to possibility of having a total knee reconstruction go from “guaranteed within the next 5-10yrs” to “possibly in the far future, if at all”. Inflammatory auto-immune stuff is shit, thankfully I’ve dodged Rheumatoid (nasty) and Ankylosing Spondylitis (very nasty) but have the consolation prize of the arthritic condition. Anyhow, I’m wearing TED stockings to reduce the chances of post-op thrombosis and feel a bit like Frankenfurter.
Sadly still not a cyborg…yet. One day though.
I was also discharged from the hospital via wheelchair and as such, tried to recruit a bunch of X-men (for those who don’t know me, google ‘alopecia universalis’).
On the hobbying side of things I’m getting my paint on and have moved onto painting up my Buttguster Ogre Tyrant (cuz Age of Sausage requires fun to be made of keywords) and a unit of dual-club wielding ogres. Keen as a bean to start getting them on the field, but I want to pint at the very least a legal force for the Generalissimo’s HandNoun VerbBook (ogre units are bought in multiples of 3, non-point games I’ll use 4 per unit).
Also sold off all of my X-wing stuff as I rarely got games in and it was taking up room. Proceeded to buy the two main Horus Heresy books from Forgeworld and a second copy of Calth, to round out the currently-unassembled stuff. Plan is to retro-fit the remaining dreadnoughts and METAL BAWKSES from the old BA force to make up the armoured complement. Ideally the force would look something like this:
- 4x 10 Marines, rhino
- 1x 5 Termies, Lightning huggers, Land Raider (it’s raiding your land, yo)
- 1x 5 Termies, power fists and guns
- 4 x 6 Marines, each armed respectively with Missile launchers, Heavy bolters, meltaguns and either flamers/plasma
- Heroes. Unsure if I want to convert the second chaplain dude into a captain and the second terminator captain into a mook.
- 2x Contemptor dreads- going to convert the gun arms so the assault cannon, multi-melta and punchy fists of doom can be dual-wielded.
Sadly will have to not use the predator annihilator that’s kicking about due to the lascannon variant not being around til M36! Will have to scrounge for rhino hatches or find a destructor turret somewhere.
Leading into this is the old question- what legion to paint up and play all these marines as?
There’s a criteria here at least:
- MUST be a loyalist force, whether or not they’re loyalists from a traitor legion it remains to be seen but I do want a force that spans most of the Heresy. There is a catch though, I kind of want to go traitor and paint word bearers. Blame Sor Talgron, really.
- Fuck the Alfalfa legion and their Primarchs: Alphabet Soup and Omelette.
- Must be enjoyable to paint- this is a must with 66 marines (got 6 extra legs as the sprue has 11 torsos) and vehicles. I know I don’t want to paint Scars, Salamanders or Dark Angels as I’ve no interest in their background or colour scheme.
- I want to enjoy playing the legion- well, duh.
Really I feel this limits me to the following: Spehhs Woofs, Imperial Fists, Blood Angels, Ultramarines; If I’m going loyalists of a traitor legion, Sons of Horus/Luna Wolves in sea-green, Thousand Sons. Again I have this niggling urge to go Word Bearers for a rather inexplicable reason. But I do want to be a Loyalist, so ehhhhh.
Out of Wolves, Fists, Angels and Ultras, what I don’t like about the prospective legions is:
-Grey is a tad bland and I’d rather the marines remain rather un-blinged (wolves) but A thousand sons and Prospero burns were an epic duo of books.
-Yellow contemptors don’t really float my boat, despite a number of easy yellow tutorials online. (fists) I do feel like the Fists suit my playstyle of digging in and weathering the storm in addition to liking the background of the Imperial Fists.
-Sinsynn would fly to Oz and eat me if I painted Ultras. Ok, probs not, but the blue is a tad bland and doesn’t seem to fit the contemptor’s design. I guess the transfers in the box wouldn’t go to waste but ehhhhhhhhh…Ultras.
-Painting bright red is a tad tedious (Angels) but I do enjoy the Legion’s background. Haven’t read much of the BA in the Heresy series, though I think it’s just one novel -Signus prime or something?)
If there’s any legion suggestions, I’m all ears. I’m off work for at least 10 days cuz of the knee, so there’s time to paint things. I don’t want to be idle as Heresy grows from Idleness.